This homemade recipe of chicken chimichangas tastes just like a deep-fried version from your favourite Mexican restaurant – though minus the added fat and calories.
They are super easy to prep and quick to make in an air fryer, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner. To bulk up the calories of this chicken chimichangas recipe you could add avocado, greek yogurt, or sour cream.
Chicken Chimichangas Recipe
- 500g finely diced chicken breast
- 4 tbsp Mexican seasoning
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 8 wholemeal tortillas
- 120 grams light tasty cheese, shredded
- 120 grams mixed lettuce
- 2 punnets of cherry tomatoes, chopped
- parsley to garnish
- 1 lime, in wedges
Chicken Chimichangas Recipe: Method
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook diced chicken until browned, add Mexican seasoning, capsicum, zucchini and red onion. Stir together until vegetables start to soften.
- Preheat the air fryer to 190C.
- Lay the tortilla on a flat surface and place about 3 tablespoons of the chicken and vegetable mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Top with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Fold in the bottom and top of the tortilla over the filling and roll in the sides tightly to enclose the filling. Repeat the process with the remaining tortillas.
- Place a single layer of the chimichangas in the basket of the air fryer, with the bottom of the tortilla facing down.
- Cook for 5 minutes, after 5 minutes turn the tortilla parcels and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until they have started to brown and go crispy.
- Continue the process until all tortilla parcels are cooked.
- One wrap is one serve. Serve with a simple salad of mixed lettuce and cherry tomato. Top with parsley and a wedge of lime on the side for dressing.
- To bulk up the calories of this recipe you could add avocado, greek yogurt or sour cream, or have two per serve.
Serves 8 at 239 calories per serve.